- French pastry from Breton area (in France) 1
- Literally translates to "butter cake" in Breton language
- Originated in town of Douarnenez, thought to be invented by Yves-Rene Scordia
- High in butter, laminated dough. Similar technique to a croissant
- Some methods mix sugar into the layers, some only put sugar mixture on outside of dough. Number of layers varies.
- Basic steps:
- Mix flour, water, yeast, salt to make dough. Knead until soft. Let dough rise.
- Flatten dough, add butter. Wrap dough around butter.
- Repeatedly fold and flatten the dough, refrigerating after every few folds to prevent melting butter or overworking gluten. You now have a laminated dough with many layers of alternating butter and dough.
- Flatten laminated dough, shape and bake.
- 1. Kouign Amann – Science and history of a French pastry, foodcrumbles.com, 2018